- Students must read, transcribe, and translate their given page... in that order! First read it twice, silently then aloud. Then transcribe the French on the left half of a blank document. Then work up a translation of that text on the right half, trying to keep French-English translations side by side.
- Translate the words you know first; leave blanks for what you don't know, grind through that material with the dictionary after doing as much as you can with your own brain first.
- For Pete's sake, don't use Google Translate! Use the glossary, Larousse, WordReference.com, but no service where you type in entire sentences or paragraphs and get machine translations.
[20 minutes] Reading and Translating in pairs!
- Students pair up, read each other their pages in French, then their translations, check each other's work!
- CAH checks homework, answers questions during this time.
[40 minutes] Reading aloud! Students read their pages aloud, then their translations.
[10 minutes] Verb Practice: au tableau! Students practice our five verb tenses (present, past, imperfect, future, and conditional) with verbs of their choosing.
Les Devoirs: Write 15 original sentences using the verbs savoir, pouvoir, devoir, vouloir, and voir. Write the sentences in this order:
- 3 in present
- 3 in passé composé
- 3 in imperfect
- 3 in future
- 3 in conditional